Re: st: FW: Possible to generate a variable and specifying the label?

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: FW: Possible to generate a variable and specifying the label?
Date   Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:00:07 +0100

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 6:30 AM, J. J. W. wrote:
> I would like to
> generate a variable including specifying the label name<snip>.
> Now I've looked at the following:
> http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?gen and came to the conclusion that generate
> [type] newvar[:lblname] =exp [if] [in] is the command I was looking for. I
> tried the following:
<snip>
> Could someone give an example of how to correct do this?

See the example below: First I open a dataset, in this case I use one
of the example datasets available in Stata, which can be conveniently
accessed with -sysuse-. Than I define the label name. The label name
refers to a set of value labels, so I need to define that first before
I can use them in -generate-. This is what I did with the -label
define command. So now there is the -generate- command, which I
usually abreviate with -gen-. The second word in that command
specifies the storrage type, in this case byte. You can read more
about datatypes by typing in Stata -help data_types-. The third word
is the new variable name, and after the colon there is the name of the
value label. Then after the equal sign follows the content of the
variable, in this case a reversed version of the indicator/dummy
variable foreign.

*-------------------- begin example -------------
sysuse auto, clear
label define dom 0 "foreign" 1 "domestic"
gen byte domestic:dom = -1*(foreign-1)
*------------------ end example ---------------
(For more on examples I sent to the Statalist see:
http://www.maartenbuis.nl/example_faq )

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis