RE: st: psmatch2 with exact matching

From   "Caskey, Judson" <judson.caskey@anderson.ucla.edu>
Subject   RE: st: psmatch2 with exact matching
Date   Tue, 22 Nov 2011 07:41:43 -0800

> From: Charles Stoecker <cfstoecker@ucdavis.edu>
> Subject: st: psmatch2 with exact matching
>
> Hi Statalist,
>
> I'm using the add-on psmatch2 (by Barbara Sinansei and Edwin Leuven -
> ssc install psmatch2) to conduct propensity score matching.  I would
> like to use it to conduct an exact match on state and then further
> match by propensity scores within state.  In the helpfile for the
> command it indicates this can be done with:
>         g att = .
>         egen g = group(groupvars)
>         levels g, local(gr)
>         qui foreach j of local gr {
>                 psmatch2 treatvar varlist if g==`j', out(outvar)
>                 replace att = r(att) if  g==`j'
>         }
>         sum att
>
> This will provide the estimate of the difference between treatment and
> control groups.  My question is, how do I get the standard error of
> the estimated difference?

See the following message post for one way to get exact matches:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-09/msg00944.html

What you can do is match on a variable that has integer codes for state, and p-score in the decimal positions. You use caliper to ensure exact matches on your state code.

Regards,

Judson Caskey
UCLA Anderson School of Management
110 Westwood Plaza, D416