st: strange "not sorted" error

From   Tatyana Deryugina <>
Subject   st: strange "not sorted" error
Date   Mon, 14 Nov 2011 20:32:33 -0600

I'm running a simple regression after which I would like to generate
predicted residuals. The code (for Stata 11) goes something like this:
tsset county_fips year
areg outcome depvar L.depvar i.year#i.state_fips, absorb(county_fips)
tsset county_fips year
predict outcome_r, residuals

The code breaks down on the fourth line and gives me an r(5) "not
sorted" error. Note that I added the second "tsset county_fips year"
during debugging - the code also breaks down when it is not there.
I've looked through the documentation to try to find what I'm supposed
to sort by, but I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

Tatyana Deryugina

Lecturer, Department of Finance
(925) 349 - 8999 (cell)