Re: st: Testing interaction terms when using factor variables

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: Testing interaction terms when using factor variables
Date   Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:23:53 -0500

At 04:15 PM 10/27/2011, Jeffrey Pitblado wrote:
In Stata 12, Richard can use the new -contrast- command:

. contrast female#(c.year##c.year c.articles c.prestige), overall

The -overall- option specifies that -contrast- combine the tests of the
individually specified terms into an additional "Overall" test at the end of the
Wald table.

Otherwise, Richard can use -testparm- instead of -test-.

    . testparm 1.female#(c.year c.year#c.year c.articles c.prestige)

Excellent! Thanks. I notice that the output of the contrast command includes

Margins      : asbalanced

Is there any reason I would want to override that? I also tried

contrast 1.female#(c.year c.year#c.year c.articles c.prestige), overall asobserved

and it didn't seem to change anything other than saying "Margins: asobserved" rather than "Margins: asbalanced".

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu