st: Re: Successive rounds of a simulation become slower and slower

From   "Lacy,Michael" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Successive rounds of a simulation become slower and slower
Date   Thu, 27 Oct 2011 22:03:32 +0000

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM,
I wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Successive rounds of a simulation I'm doing become progressively slower, so much so as to make continuing impractical. I'd like to figure out why this is happening
> and cure it. The first round might take 2 minutes, then 5 minutes for the next, then 15, etc. Each round *should* take the same amount of time, since the same estimation process
> is being performed on similar data at each round.

>Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:50:01 -0400
>From: Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
>Subject: Re: st: Successive rounds of a simulation become slower and slower

>Hi Michael,

>I don't think this can be answered without you showing your actual
>code. If every simulation run really does the same thing, then the
>time increase is linear. Therefore, something must be wrong with your
>code and I suspect it has to do with your using several loops and the
>stuff that is included/not included in each loop. But as I said, this
>is not answerable without seeing what is actually going on.

>Also, consider using Stata's -simulate-.

>Joerg

Mike Lacy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins CO 80523-1784