Re: st: renaming variables from first observation

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: renaming variables from first observation
Date   Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:21:24 +0100

Fine, but let me underline that `=exp' is relevant in my postings
earlier in this thread only for those loops using it.

It is usually wrong for the -renvars- solution I gave first.

To spell this out:

renvars, map(`=word("@", 1)')

is seen by -renvars- as

renvars, map(@)

as the expression -word("@", 1)- is evaluated on the fly and the first
word of "@" is just the same string. But that was not what was
intended at all. It is the result of another Stata principle that
references to varname -- in this case inside -renvars- --  are
interpreted as references to varname[1] whenever only a single value
can be returned and that will work so long as all such values of each
variable in question are legal names. But they aren't in your example.