Re: st: renaming variables from first observation

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: renaming variables from first observation
Date   Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:13:17 +0100

Let's assume that your first values are all legal names. You could
indeed do this

forval j  = 1/14 {
      local names `names' `=var`j'[1]'
}
renvars var1-var14 \ `names'

But that's actually dozens of lines more code (look _inside_ -renvars-)  than

forval j = 1/14 {
     rename var`j' `=var`j'[1]'
}

and the second is in any case shorter and more direct, even without
looking inside -renvars-.

You asked what a solution was with -renvars- and I agree that it looks
complicated. The -map()- option was mine and intended as an outlet for
the desperate user-programmer whose problem was not met by any of the
other options. But usually you need to be moderately fluent in Stata
to make effective use of it. The program was written for the authors'
use and any utility beyond that is a pleasant side-effect!

`= exp'

evaluates an expression on the fly and is documented tersely at -help
macro-. But the main idea is simple. Consider as part of a command
line

`= 2 + 2'

Stata sees ` ' and so expects something like a macro reference to be
substituted. But instead of a macro name there is

= 2 + 2

Stata does the calculation on the fly. In this case the result is 4
and that is what the command would see.

-renvars- is over a decade old now. After that length of time
StataCorp caught up and the official -rename- is now much versatile in
Stata 12, although I doubt it has a way to solve your problem without
a loop. I would be happy to be shown wrong on that.

Nick