Re: st: pasting excel worsheet with missing values in Stata 12 - Bug?

From   Ricardo Ovaldia <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: pasting excel worsheet with missing values in Stata 12 - Bug?
Date   Tue, 23 Aug 2011 05:51:24 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you neel,

I routinely use -insheet- or -import- to read excel data into Stata.
In this case, this was such a small dataset that I chose to simply cut-and-paste it.
What is disturbing is that  Stata 11 and Stata 12 handle this cut-and-paste differently.

Ricardo

Ricardo Ovaldia, MS
Statistician
Oklahoma City, OK

----- Original Message -----
From: Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:23 AM
Subject: Re: st: pasting excel worsheet with missing values in Stata 12 - Bug?

I'd advise against this approach of copying and pasting.

Instead I'd recommend saving your Excel file as ASCII Comma-Separated
Variables (.csv) via File -> Save As and then using -insheet- to read
in the resulting file.

It avoids these problems and if you write your -insheet- (and
associated -label-ing commands) in a Do-file **.do) you can easily
repeat the importing of data subsequent labelling and any
manipulations you may wish to make, and of course subsequent analyses
very easily.

There are various resources out there on working in this way (see
http://stata-press.com/books/) and the Stata NetCourse are
particularly useful.

Neil

--
"To consult the statistician after an experiment is finished is often
merely to ask him to conduct a post mortem examination. He can perhaps

Neil Shephard
Clinical Trials Research Unit /
NIHR Research Design Service for Yorkshire & the Humber
University of Sheffield
*
*  For searches and help try:
*  http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?searchhttp://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faqhttp://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/