Re: st: Parallel Stata MP Sessions on 32 Processor Workstation

From   vwiggins@stata.com (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Parallel Stata MP Sessions on 32 Processor Workstation
Date   Mon, 15 Aug 2011 23:17:51 -0500

John Romalis <John.Romalis@chicagobooth.edu> asks,

> I have a Stata MP8 license and plan to acquire a new workstation
> with 32 cores. If I run 4 sessions of Stata simultaneously, will
> Stata MP8 allocate all jobs to the SAME 8 cores or can the jobs be
> allocated over all 32 cores, with each Stata session addressing 8
> different cores?

When working on a problem that can be parallelized each Stata session
will request 8 cores, and the load balancing algorithms in the
operating system will distribute the processing over all available
cores.  So, 4 Stata MP/8 processes running on a 32-core computer can
light up all 32 cores on the machine.

I suppose I should admit, in the fine print, that a system administrator
may restrict the number of cores available to users, processes, or
applications, and thereby prevent all 32 cores from being utilized.
If that happens John will need to take it up with his administrator.  I
read John's query to say that his workstation will not be shared so
there would be no reason to configure such constraints.

-- Vince
   vwiggins@stata.com