Re: st: running marginsplots without rerunning margins again

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: running marginsplots without rerunning margins again
Date   Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:42:15 -0500

At 08:14 AM 8/11/2011, Nick Cox wrote:
The underscore _ doesn't do anything special. It's just a legal
character that is part of the command name.

There is a StataCorp convention that commands intended mostly or
entirely for below-the-surface use often start with "_", but I think
that is as much as could be said. See -help undocumented- for some. By
the way, "undocumented" in Stata has a Pickwickian meaning of
"undocumented _in the manuals_". What you need to worry about, except
that you don't, is the commands that are not documented.

There seem to be two kinds of undocumented commands in Stata: those that are undocumented in the manuals but are documented online, and those that are apparently undocumented anywhere. The latter often include command options like the -saving- option for -margins-. The latter are the most troublesome, because you are not sure what they do nor are you sure how safe it is to use those options yourself. When updating -oglm- to work with factor variables I needed some help from StataCorp because the updating required features not documented anywhere. I'm still not sure what those features do other than make my program work.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu