Re: st: Sample size for maximum likelihood estimates

Subject   Re: st: Sample size for maximum likelihood estimates
Date   Thu, 11 Aug 2011 17:57:35 +0200

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 5:20 PM, dk wrote:
> Take example If, my dependent variable is respondent go for purchasing
> x product or not. I have response 60 % purchase and 40 % do not
> purchase. Then is it possible to use 20 explanatory variables.

That still depends on the distribution of your explanatory variables
(low variance means less power which means more observations are
needed), the correlations between these variables (higher correlations
means less power which means more observations are needed) and whether
or not these include interaction terms (interaction terms mean less
power which means more observations are needed). I am sorry, there
really is no generic answer to your question.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen