st: Combine Listwise Deletion and Multiple Imputation?

From   Andrea Bennett <>
Subject   st: Combine Listwise Deletion and Multiple Imputation?
Date   Thu, 11 Aug 2011 15:43:14 +0200

I am dealing with a data set (field experiment) containing missing values. I wonder, is it ok to combine both methods, that is "Listwise Deletion" and "Multiple Imputation" in order to deal with missing values?

I've been reading Paul D. Allison's "Missing Data" and cannot find a clear answer there. I want combine both methods because the loss in observations is small except for one particular variable where I have lots of "don't know" answers (question: highest completed education of parents). I would then only apply MI for one variable where Listwise Deletion would result in quite a severe loss.

Does anyone of you, who is more familiar with MI, disagree in general? Do you recommend reading a specific book, potentially tailored to Stata users?

Many thanks in advance,