Re: st: Combine Listwise Deletion and Multiple Imputation?

From   Stas Kolenikov <>
Subject   Re: st: Combine Listwise Deletion and Multiple Imputation?
Date   Thu, 11 Aug 2011 10:23:35 -0400

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Andrea Bennett <> wrote:
> I am dealing with a data set (field experiment) containing missing values. I wonder, is it ok to combine both methods, that is "Listwise Deletion" and "Multiple Imputation" in order to deal with missing values?
> I've been reading Paul D. Allison's "Missing Data" and cannot find a clear answer there. I want combine both methods because the loss in observations is small except for one particular variable where I have lots of "don't know" answers (question: highest completed education of parents). I would then only apply MI for one variable where Listwise Deletion would result in quite a severe loss.
> Does anyone of you, who is more familiar with MI, disagree in general? Do you recommend reading a specific book, potentially tailored to Stata users?

Hm. "I would like to be on a diet to control my calory intake, and
will be eating turkey with veggies instead of burgers and fries, but I
am going to substitute milk with whipped cream".

If you have access to MI, why don't MI everything? I could understand
combining MI with listwise deletion for a methodological study of how
things perform (and then I would still MI everything and then randomly
delete observations, real or imputed), but frankly I don't see any
point for this awkward procedure in any real data analysis setting.

Stas Kolenikov, also found at