st: Repeated measured analysis

From   Marlis Gonzalez Fernandez <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Repeated measured analysis
Date   Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:44:05 +0000

Hello-

Trying to help a colleague who has an interesting study.

He has distance of movement (hyoid bone) measures in mm on 13 subjects with no less than 20 measures (some have many more than that) during swallowing 3 different foods (so lots of repeats!). He wants to determine if there are significant distance differences between normal and disease states (while taking into account food type). I was concerned about having so many repeated measures and appropriately accounting for that to discern where is the true variability (ie. disease state?  Subject?).  Any ideas welcome.maybe I am over-thinking this?  Should he just analyze food types separately?

M González, MD, PhD
JHU