Re: st: Re: question concerning normality

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: question concerning normality
Date   Wed, 10 Aug 2011 10:00:06 +0100

I agree with Maarten on his stance both on private emails and on the
normality assumption.

An easy counterexample is to suppose that x is uniformly distributed
and y a perfect linear function of x. Then y is also uniformly
distributed. So it would presumably fail any test for normality. But
to argue that regression of y on x is invalid because the response is
not normally distributed would be absurd.

That said, it remains quite likely that working with logarithms of
financial data is a good idea, but the information in the posting is
insufficient to say much more.