st: global macro syntax for recoding missing values

From   Rebecca Coates <r.coates@uq.edu.au>
Subject   st: global macro syntax for recoding missing values
Date   Tue, 9 Aug 2011 16:24:16 +1000

Dear Statalist users,
I am archiving a dataset that has used multiple different values for missing data and I need to standardise all 3 waves to one missing value. I have a very basic understanding of macros, but can't figure out how to write a macro that will basically recode "." | "99" | "-999"  == "999".
Does anyone have any suggestions or know where I can look?
Thank You!
Rebecca