Re: st: Ologit storing p-values up to 10 decimal places

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Ologit storing p-values up to 10 decimal places
Date   Tue, 9 Aug 2011 07:15:47 +0100

Answers embedded below.

Nick

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Debs Majumdar <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks Nick. I was just trying to do a Genome Wide Association test with a trial sample of 500 SNPs. In a normal dataset, we have around 500,000 SNPs and the p-values are very small (the last one I ran in PLINK had the top hit at 5e-17). I would eventually want to modify the code so that it runs fo 500K SNPs. The reason for trying to run the GWAS in Stata and not PLINK is that PLINK doesn't have the capability of doingan ordinal logistic regression.
>

>   I got confused with the code. Sorry for that. If I wanted to print out the sorted p-values would adding an extra line (sort e(p)) do it?

No. That would not work. -sort- requires a variable list and e(p) is
clearly not a variable name. You would need to get the p-values into a
new variable, therefore, before -sort-ing.

> Also, I just noticed that Stata 11 has a  --pformat-- option. I was wondering if that can be used before the loop to specify that I want p-values upto certain decimal places.

I think you mean Stata 12. That just controls the output of -ologit-
(in this case) and does nothing to solve your main problem.

You seem confused also about what a format is. A format is how
something is displayed, not what it is.

Your problem is programmable. I imagine you will get results more
quickly if you adopt Roger Newson's -parmest- approach. If you want to
program it yourself, then you need to study the Stata documentation
more thoroughly, as by your own admission your coding style seems
based mostly on guesses on what might work, and only frustration and
delay lie that way.