st: The current version is now 12

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: The current version is now 12
Date   Fri, 29 Jul 2011 18:53:15 +0100

The Statalist convention is that you should mention the version of Stata you are using if it is not the current version. The current version is now clearly 12, and as today reflected in the FAQ,

* you should now please mention use of any earlier version (11 down) in postings *

As anyone following the list closely will have seen, there already have been several postings flagging that a question referred to 12, and naturally that's fine too. The presence of information is rarely problematic, but the absence of information might be.

Naturally, some might feel that this shift is premature and that we should wait until the data imply that the modal group of Statalist members is that using 12. So you expect perhaps that we should be statistical on this list? Sorry, no, we don't have the data and if we did they would be lousy.