Re: st: RE: Memory usage in Stata 11 and 12

From   "William Gould, StataCorp LP" <wgould@stata.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: RE: Memory usage in Stata 11 and 12
Date   Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:45:16 -0500

Samuel Lucas <lucaselastic@gmail.com> writes,

> Any chance -set memory- can be returned to stata 12.x?  I do not
> understand a move that reduces user's control.  If someone allocates
> more memory than they have, stata should just error out and inform
> them as in the past.  That happening right at the start of a job is
> actually helpful.

What Samuel needs to do is -set min_memory-; see -help memory-.

min_memory specifies the minimum amount of memory Stata is to grab right
now and thereafter never release.

Samuel could obtain the equivalent of the old -set memory- command by
setting min_memory and max_memory to the same amount, but I don't see
why he would want to do that.  If Samuel is wrong about his memory
requirements, he still has a chance of making it through is do-file
if he leaves max_memory set to "."

-- Bill
wgould@stata.com