Re: st: ROC question: STATA vs SPSS

To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu, "statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: ROC question: STATA vs SPSS
Date   Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:16:23 -0500

At 02:53 PM 7/28/2011, Danielle Boyce wrote:
Hi,

I usually use STATA for my data analysis, but for various reasons, ran one in SPSS first. It gave me a negative cutoff point when my data have no negative values. I re-ran in STATA and got the same AUC, but no negative cutoff, and everything else (CIs, cutoffs) are ever-so-slightly off compared to SPSS.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows why this discrepancy exists.

Thanks!
Danielle

I don't know specifically about ROC, but often such differences are due to differences in parameterization. One program might do 0 versus 1 while another does 1 versus 0. Or, one program adds a constant while another subtracts a cutpoint. If possible, try to compare how the two programs are parameterizing things.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam