st: chi square test for 2 independent variables‏

From   Jonathan Grondin <jomatrix65@hotmail.com>
To   statalist2 <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: chi square test for 2 independent variables‏
Date   Thu, 28 Jul 2011 20:30:58 +0000

Hi there,

I am trying to run a -chi2- chi-square test for two independent samples.

I ran a test on two groups of students, groupA having more information than groupB. I would like to use the chi-square test in order to show that the differences in the answers by group1 compared to those of group2 are either due to randomness or either by the fact one group answered differently based on the fact the had more information starting with.

Each question has a choice of 5 possible answers (from 1 to 5) and I have generated one single variable for each question. e.g. "Q1" "Q2" "Q3"

I tried dividing each question into 2 new variables by their respective groups. e.g.:  Q1A   &   Q1B
But when I -tab Q1A Q1B, chi2-  I get no observation, maybe since students are either in group A or in group B but can't be in both

Any idea how I could solve this problem ?

Jonathan