st: too many macros

From   "ali hashemi" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: too many macros
Date   Wed, 29 Jun 2011 22:01:58 -0400

Dear list members,

Is there any limit on the number of macros that can be defined in a program?
I am using local macros to read the regressors in the varlist. Here is the

program prog
syntax varlist
local N: word count `varlist'
gettoken lhs rhs: varlist
forval i=1/`N' {
	local x`i' : word `i' of `rhs'

The above code works fine when the number of variables in the varlist is
less than 18. However, in my case I have at least 400 variables in the
varlist and I get this error message: "too many macros"

Is there anything wrong with the above code that causes this problem? If
there is a limit for the number of macros defined in the program how can I
call the regressors in the varlist?

Your help is very much appreciated