st: saving -tabstatmat- output as matrix/data

From   "Enayetur Raheem" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: saving -tabstatmat- output as matrix/data
Date   Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:03:37 -0400

Hi Stata experts
I was searching for a way to save -tabstatmat- output as a matrix so
that I can transform it as data. Any suggestion would be much
Lets consider the Auto data:

. sysuse auto, clear
. tabstat price, by(foreign) stat(mean) save
Summary for variables: price
     by categories of: foreign (Car type)
 foreign |      mean
Domestic |  6072.423
 Foreign |  6384.682
   Total |  6165.257

What I want to achieve is to save the following output to a matrix (or
any other way to make it the data)
. tabstatmat price
Domestic:mean  6072.4231
 Foreign:mean  6384.6818