Re: st: Re: Analyzing time series data on prices by districts & markets

From   Chris Parker <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Analyzing time series data on prices by districts & markets
Date   Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:45:54 +0100

Hi Partho,

It looks like you want to do something like this:

> 1.      For each date, the total number of markets (over all states and
> districts) for which a price is reported, and

bysort date: gen nummarkets = _N

> 2.      The maximum number of markets for which a price is reported for any
> date in the datasets

Are you wanting a variable with a constant equal to the maximum number
of mandis open on each day? If so:

egen maxmarkets = max(nummarkets)

> In addition, to do a geographical analysis, I would like to record,
> for each date
>
> 1.      The number of reporting markets in each district versus the total
> no. of markets in that district,

egen markettag = tag(market)
bysort state district: egen marketsindistrict = total(markettag)
bysort state district date: gen marketsopen = _N
gen percentmarketsopen = marketsopen/marketsindistrict

> 2.      The number of districts in each state for which prices are
> reported, versus the total no. of districts in that state

egen districttag = tag(district)
bysort state: egen numdistricts = total(districttag)
bysort state date: egen districtswithprices = total(districttag)
gen percentdistrictswithprices = districtswithprices/numdistricts

> 3.      Similarly, the number of states for which prices are reported,
> versus the total no. of state s where a price is ever reported

egen statetag = tag(state)
bysort state: egen numstates = total(statetag)
bysort state date: egen stateswithprices = total(statetag)
gen percentstateswithprices = stateswithprices/numstates

Chris

Chris Parker

PhD Candidate | Management Science & Operations
London Business School | Regent's Park | London NW1 4SA | United Kingdom
Direct line +44 (0)20 7000 8816 | Email [email protected]