Re: st: Stata crashes when loading a dataset

From   Dan Blanchette <dan_blanchette@unc.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Stata crashes when loading a dataset
Date   Wed, 25 May 2011 14:21:29 -0400 (EDT)

I should have also mentioned that after I load the dataset
into Stata (whatever version, or OS) I can then save it as
a new file and then re-open it normally:

 . use * using "C:\data\foreign_data.dta"
 . save "C:\data\not_so_foreign_data.dta"
 . clear
 . use  "C:\data\not_so_foreign_data.dta"

Stata seems to modify the non-ASCII characters to ASCII when using
-use- with a varlist.

I also could not replicate the problem.  I think you would have
to have another computer setup with a foreign language to create the
test dataset and then open the test dataset on your own computer.

The foreign character when read into Stata ends up looking like
 "a" with a tilde "~" over it.

HTH,
Dan Blanchette

Research Programming Services