Re: st: Stata crashes when loading a dataset

From   Dan Blanchette <dan_blanchette@unc.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Stata crashes when loading a dataset
Date   Thu, 26 May 2011 16:38:56 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Alan for your insightful response.

I delved into the file some more by using the
strings command in Linux and found that the end
of the dataset has a lot of html code in it.
The top seems to be a normal Stata dataset.
The system they have for distributing datasets
must not be setup right.

When I opened the dta file using VIM, I was able
to delete the html lines and save the file. Stata loaded it just fine without having to use
the varlist.  So specifying the varlist seems to
help Stata decide that the line in the data file
is not valid data.  The fixed version of the dataset
has the same number of observations and variables etc.

I was able to create a data file that recreates this
crash problem by pasting in some html code at the
bottom of the file using VIM.

HTH,
Dan Blanchette

Research Programming Services