Re: st: Right to Left Column Cascade or Adjustment

From   Eric Booth <>
To   "<>" <>
Subject   Re: st: Right to Left Column Cascade or Adjustment
Date   Tue, 24 May 2011 16:14:38 +0000

On May 24, 2011, at 10:08 AM, David Torres wrote:
> There's probably a proper name for the process I'd like to carry out.
> Say I have five columns of information with staggard cell inputs.  How do I go about moving all the information in a subsequent column back through to the first column for which no information is missing on the row?

I'm not sure what the proper name for this process is, nor could I find any existing program that would do it.
 The only name I could think of for this was -shiftleft- (based on option to shift cells left in MS Excel because this is the first thing I thought of when I read David's question).  So,  my previous example could be turned into the program below.   I'll add a couple of more options and error checking into the code and submit it to Kit for after he returns to Boston.

******!draft program -shiftleft-
*! Eric A. Booth <>
*! May 2011
cap program drop shiftleft
program def shiftleft
syntax varlist
qui {
tempvar i N
g `i' = _n
reshape long Col, i(`i') j(`N')
drop `N'
drop if mi(Col)
bys `i': g `N' = _n
reshape wide Col, i(`i') j(`N')

inp Col1   Col2     Col3    Col4    Col5

101     101 . . .
.       111 . .      333
. . . .         935
. . .     023      016