st: RE: Stata vs. Minitab

From   "Ploutz-Snyder, Robert (JSC-SK)[USRA]" <robert.ploutz-snyder-1@nasa.gov>
Subject   st: RE: Stata vs. Minitab
Date   Wed, 11 May 2011 09:00:00 -0500

Hi Garrett.

I haven't used Minitab for years but used to teach with it.  I won't bad-mouth any company, but if memory serves, I do not think that Minitab did much at all (if anything) with mixed models.  Stata's mixed modeling is a real strength--they've devoted a lot into what they call the "xt" programs. So if mixed modeling is something that you envision doing in your role there, Stata is a clear winner. (I recommend that you see if Minitab can do as many different types of mixed-effects modeling as Stata before claiming this as a relative benefit--maybe  Minitab does more with mixed effects modeling nowadays?)

As for price, an issue for all govt purchases, Stata is quite reasonable.

And if this helps you at all, you could toss in the notion that other govt agencies use Stata too--it is a primary analytic tool at NASA.

Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Garrett Harmon
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:35 AM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: Stata vs. Minitab

Hello all, I'm kind of new here. I work for a government contractor,
and I'm trying to get Stata approved at my office. Dealing with the
red tape has been a pain, and in order to get it at my office I need
to show how Stata fills a role that Minitab does not. I don't know
much about Minitab as I've just used Stata. Could someone help me and
give me some points on how Stata does things that Minitab can't? Any
help is appreciated!

Respectfully,

Garrett Harmon