st: On calling a mata-defined function in Stata

From   Dorothy Bridges <>
Subject   st: On calling a mata-defined function in Stata
Date   Wed, 11 May 2011 07:19:15 -0700

I found in the archives the following comment regarding calling a
function in Stata: "or you can write a Mata function which you call
from Stata ... [which] is often more elegant."  I've tried
unsuccessfully to find instructions on how exactly to go about this.
What I'd like to do, I think, is:

function f(x) return(x^2+2x)

In Stata
sca x=5
sca y=&f(x)

But, clearly, I don't know what I'm doing.  Many thanks in advance.