st: Some help on coding the categorical variable

From   prakash singh <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: Some help on coding the categorical variable
Date   Wed, 11 May 2011 12:42:00 +0530

Hello every one

My question not strictly related to stata but still I thought of
asking statalisters, hope you people will not mind.

In my analysis I am having few categorical variables where the code
for the categorical variable is: 1 for increase, 2 for no change and 3
for decrease. Now I need suggestion that whether I should change the
code to -1 for decrease 0 for no change and 1 for increase or I should
go ahead with same coding for the empirical exercise.