st: nonlinear maximum likelihood with ml

From   Tatyana Deryugina <>
Subject   st: nonlinear maximum likelihood with ml
Date   Mon, 2 May 2011 17:56:57 -0400

Is there any way to use "ml" to estimate a non-linear equation? I'm
trying to estimate the parameters of the distribution of an outcome
(Y) assuming that Y follows a Beta distribution with parameters that
depend on some X's. It's easy to write down the log likelihood
function, but the equation for Y is non-linear. If "ml" doesn't work,
I was considering using moptimize. If anyone else has any suggestions,
I'd be really grateful!

Tatyana Deryugina

MIT PhD Student, Department of Economics
MIT Energy Initiative Energy Fellow
(925) 349 - 8999 (cell)