Re: st: Average Multiple Records

From   "William Buchanan" <william@williambuchanan.net>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Average Multiple Records
Date   Mon, 25 Apr 2011 13:30:22 +0000

You can probably use - collapse - by student ID to get this.
------Original Message------
From: Dennis Kramer
Sender: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
ReplyTo: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: Average Multiple Records
Sent: Apr 25, 2011 09:19

StataList,

I am trying to trying to calculate GPA for each student in a given
year and I have course grade information in the following form:

Student 1 -- Course 1 -- Grade
Student 1 -- Course 2 -- Grade
Student 1 -- Course 3 -- Grade
Student 2 -- Course 1 -- Grade
Student 2 -- Course 2 -- Grade
Student 2 -- Course 3 -- Grade     etc....

I know I need to generate a GPA variable by converting the Grade into
a GPA format; however, I am not sure how I could generate an overall
GPS variable for each unique student that takes into account the sum
of the newly created GPA variables and divides it by the number of
courses an individual took in that given year.

Any suggestions.....