st: Average Multiple Records

From   Dennis Kramer <dkramerii@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Average Multiple Records
Date   Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:19:04 -0400

StataList,

I am trying to trying to calculate GPA for each student in a given
year and I have course grade information in the following form:

Student 1 -- Course 1 -- Grade
Student 1 -- Course 2 -- Grade
Student 1 -- Course 3 -- Grade
Student 2 -- Course 1 -- Grade
Student 2 -- Course 2 -- Grade
Student 2 -- Course 3 -- Grade     etc....

I know I need to generate a GPA variable by converting the Grade into
a GPA format; however, I am not sure how I could generate an overall
GPS variable for each unique student that takes into account the sum
of the newly created GPA variables and divides it by the number of
courses an individual took in that given year.

Any suggestions.....