Re: st: Sample: drawing the same "random" sample

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Sample: drawing the same "random" sample
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2011 20:15:12 +0100 (BST)

--- On 4/12/11 2:02 PM, Laurie Molina wrote:
> > I am running random samples in stata 9 using the
> > command sample. If i close the program, open the
> > database again and then run the sample again, the
> > "random" sample is the same as the first time i
> > gave stata the instruction.
> > Is it really a random sample? Is it ok to use it to
> > make inference in to the population? What is the
> > algorith used to draw the sample?

A very nice and detailed explanation was given last year on
this list by Bill Gould:

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie