st: Sample: drawing the same "random" sample

From   Laurie Molina <molinalaurie@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Sample: drawing the same "random" sample
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:02:18 -0500

Hi all,
I hope you can help me with the following questions:
I am running random samples in stata 9 using the command sample.
If i close the program, open the database again and then run the
sample again, the "random" sample is the same as the first time i gave
stata the instruction.
Is it really a random sample? Is it ok to use it to make inference in
to the population? What is the algorith used to draw the sample?
Thank you very much in advance, as always!