Re: st: Sample: drawing the same "random" sample

To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu, statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Sample: drawing the same "random" sample
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2011 14:19:47 -0500

At 01:02 PM 4/12/2011, Laurie Molina wrote:
Hi all,
I hope you can help me with the following questions:
I am running random samples in stata 9 using the command sample.
If i close the program, open the database again and then run the
sample again, the "random" sample is the same as the first time i gave
stata the instruction.
Is it really a random sample? Is it ok to use it to make inference in
to the population? What is the algorith used to draw the sample?
Thank you very much in advance, as always!

I am mildly surprised that it is the exact same sample (are you sure it is, as opposed to being a different random sample of the same size?) But in any event you can use the -set seed- command to make sure you can reproduce the same random sample or to guarantee that you get a different one.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam