Re: st: STATA 9.2 ICE

Subject   Re: st: STATA 9.2 ICE
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2011 12:07:14 -0500

At 10:35 AM 4/12/2011, Nick Cox wrote:
-ice- is from SSC. You are asked to say where user-written commands
you refer to come from.

Almost the first thing -ice- does is

local cmdline : copy local 0

but in fact that construct is not allowed in Stata 9.2. You could
upgrade to Stata 11 (I doubt that Stata will sell you a copy of Stata
10), or you could try replacing that line with

local cmdline `0'

except don't blame me or Patrick Royston if that does not work.

That is one reason I like to keep old versions of Stata around. When making minor tweaks to a program, it is easy to zap it from working with older versions of Stata by using some new feature (especially if you don't even realize it is new). If you are adding major new functionality, it may be worth it, but in cases like this you might as well use the older code that keeps the program functional for those not blessed with the latest version of Stata.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam