Re: st: Static or dynamically linked install on Ubuntu 64 bit

From   Neil Shephard <nshephard@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Static or dynamically linked install on Ubuntu 64 bit
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2011 07:45:13 +0100

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 7:25 AM, roland andersson
<rolandersson@gmail.com> wrote:
> My instruction was incomplete. After my install Stata would crash when
> I opened the do-file editor. I googled around and found this
> instruction
>
> http://jonas.ranstam.se/2010/10/24/how-to-install-stata-v11-under-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat/
>
> It seems to be complete. The dynamic link opens much faster and is
> more nice-looking.
>

> # Create a directory for Stata 11 and install Stata here
> sudo mkdir /usr/local/stata11
> cd /usr/local/stata11
> sudo /path-to-installation-disk/install
>
> # Enter the license information
> sudo ./stinit
>
> # Fix some libraries
> sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
> sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libgtksourceview-2.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0
> sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libgtk2.0-0 /usr/lib/libgtk-1.2.0
> sudo apt-get install libgtksourceview1.0-0

This is the nub and something I've encountered before.  It boils down
to Stata still using/looking for the older libgtk-1 libraries rather
than the libgtk2 ones, which is why when you symbolically link the
libgtk-1 libraries (which probably aren't installed) to point to your
libgtk2 libraries it works (although you may encounter some problems).

Looking forward to when everything is on libgtk2, in the mean time I
use the statically compiled version on my systems (Gentoo).

Neil
--
“Truth in science can be defined as the working hypothesis best suited
to open the way to the next better one.” - Konrad Lorenz

Email - nshephard@gmail.com
Website - http://kimura.no-ip.org/