Re: st: RE: marginal effects in MNL model

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: marginal effects in MNL model
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2011 08:14:38 +0100 (BST)

--- On Tue, 12/4/11, Diane Dancer wrote:
> I am estimating an MNL model using weights and a cluster
> variance.  The model all works and gives me good
> results.
> However when I add the commands for the marginal effects as
> specified in the help directory I get no results and a
> comment about a bracket..
> margins, dydx(") predict(outcome(1));

-dydx(")- should be -dydx(*)-.

A " indicates the start of a string, so Stata sees:

margins, dydx(

Than a ", so it thinks `now a string is starting, lets wait
till it ends' and ofcourse it doesn't end. So after parsing
it is left with the fragment -margins, dydx(- and it asks
you `he, where is the closing bracket?'

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie