RE: st: Stata Temp File issue

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   RE: st: Stata Temp File issue
Date   Tue, 14 Dec 2010 19:41:11 +0000

. search TMPDIR

to see more information.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

John C. Vernaleo

> I realize you shouldn't have to do this, that stata ought to be able to keep track of this stuff on its own, but one straightforward fix for this problem might be explicitly setting the temp directory at the start of each concurrent job, so that they don't share the same temp/work directory, and there will be no file naming conflicts for active temporary files.

Assuming I'm understanding my situation correctly, that solution would be
great.

> something like:
>
> sysdir set tmpdir <my chosen temporary directory>

When I try that I get:
. sysdir set tmpdir     "C:\temp\"
tmpdir not found

And then:
. sysdir list
STATA:  C:\Program Files\Stata9\
UPDATES:  C:\Program Files\Stata9\ado\updates\
BASE:  C:\Program Files\Stata9\ado\base\
SITE:  C:\Program Files\Stata9\ado\site\
PLUS:  c:\ado\plus\
PERSONAL:  c:\ado\personal\
OLDPLACE:  c:\ado\

So it doesn't look like tmpdir is something Stata knows about.  I guess it
just uses whatever Windows sets as the temp directory (do you know if
Stata uses TEMP or TMP offhand since I seem to have both defined by
Windows?).

If that is the case I guess I can set the Windows temp variable (once I
figure out which one it is) to something specific for each of the Stata
processes.

I will of course report back if I have success with that.