st: Benchmarks for Stata

From   "Dimitriy V. Masterov" <dvmaster@gmail.com>
To   Statalist <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: Benchmarks for Stata
Date   Thu, 9 Dec 2010 18:32:22 -0500

Are there any standardized tests that one can run to measure Stata's
performance? I am becoming convinced that my current setup is slower
than it could be, but I don't know any way of confirming that this is
not a case of unrealistic expectations. I've seen some suggestions for
benchmarking using gllamm, but I don't know enough about gllamm models
to know which are parallelized and to what degree. I guess I don't
even know what to expect.

I am running Stata MP on a 64-bit Windows server through remote
desktop, and it seems to be only somewhat faster than MP on my laptop.
Any advice about how to establish expectations or how to diagnose what
is wrong?

DVM