Re: st: Benchmarks for Stata

From   Stas Kolenikov <>
Subject   Re: st: Benchmarks for Stata
Date   Thu, 9 Dec 2010 17:40:01 -0600

I have some estimates of computational complexity in my Stata Journal
paper on -confa-, if that helps. These are comparative figures: if you
increase the sample size by a factor of two, or add another indicator
to each factor, how much longer would it take to estimate the model?
But you are probably after an absolute index of performance.

I wouldn't be at all surprised that a modern laptop can ran as fast as
a slightly dated server. Especially if that server is already loaded
with some computing, and/or you don't have sufficient priority in the
computing queues.

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Dimitriy V. Masterov <> wrote:
> Are there any standardized tests that one can run to measure Stata's
> performance? I am becoming convinced that my current setup is slower
> than it could be, but I don't know any way of confirming that this is
> not a case of unrealistic expectations. I've seen some suggestions for
> benchmarking using gllamm, but I don't know enough about gllamm models
> to know which are parallelized and to what degree. I guess I don't
> even know what to expect.
> I am running Stata MP on a 64-bit Windows server through remote
> desktop, and it seems to be only somewhat faster than MP on my laptop.
> Any advice about how to establish expectations or how to diagnose what
> is wrong?

Stas Kolenikov, also found at