RE: st: Uninstalling older versions of stata?

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   RE: st: Uninstalling older versions of stata?
Date   Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:29:07 +0000

I agree with Michael on the main point. Motives may vary -- I leave old Statas in place to check on program behaviour in older versions -- but old Statas don't do any harm.

In addition, setting -version #- is _not_ equivalent to using Stata #. There is a surprising myth in circulation to the effect that -version- can act as a time machine. It is surprising because the help for -version- explains what -version- does, and it is distinctly limited.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Michael N. Mitchell

   Others might have differing opinions, but my preference is to retain previous versions
of Stata on my computer. I do this for a couple of reasons...

   1) The older version appears to have no impact on the newer version.
   2) The older version does not take up much space.

   and perhaps most importantly...

   3) If something odd happens with my current version of Stata, I can run the same
commands in the previous version and see if the behavior is the same in the previous
version. (Some might say that version control would yield the same result, but I don't
know if that is always the case.)