RE: st: RE: creating an index variable: number of presentations to hospital by participant

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: creating an index variable: number of presentations to hospital by participant
Date   Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:54:06 +0100

That is,

bysort patient_id year (arrivaldate): gen order_in_year = _n

A tutorial on -by:- is included within

SJ-2-1  pr0004  . . . . . . . . . . Speaking Stata:  How to move step by: step
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q1/02   SJ 2(1):86--102                                  (no commands)
        explains the use of the by varlist : construct to tackle
        a variety of problems with group structure, ranging from
        simple calculations for each of several groups to more
        advanced manipulations that use the built-in _n and _N

which is accessible to all via the Stata Journal website. I got the above text (and other hits) within Stata by

. search by, sj

-- and if you do that yourself you will get a clickable link to the corresponding .pdf.

Mitch Abdon

You may add the year variable in the -by- prefix. You need to include
the year variable in the -sort- as well. See "help by".

Alison McCarthy

> regarding the formula below. Is there a way to also split this up by year of presentation?
> This means you have the number of ordered presentations for each participant calculated separately for each year.

Kieran McCaul

>> You'll need some sort of patient ID that identifies individuals.
>> Assuming you have that, then:
>>
>> sort patient_id arrivaldate, stable
>> by patient_id: gen order=_n
>>

>> look at -help sort- for an explanation of the option -stable-.
>>
>> Without this option, sort will randomly order observations with the same
>> patient_id and arrivaldate.
>>
>> Of course, if you have the arrival time as well, you could sort on:
>>
>> sort patient_id arrivaldate arrivaltime, stable

Alison McCarthy