st: weights

From   Chiara Mussida <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: weights
Date   Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:58:10 +0200

Dear all,
I have to generate a variable for the sum of household disposable
income and I must use the available weights to get the real sum.
Anyway the commands gen and egen (for a sake of clarity I used egen
newvar=sum(income)) do not allow the use of weights. Therefore what I
get is a sum of all sampled household income and not the real overall,
since to get the average income I have to divide by the number of
household in my sample and not - as desired - by the number of
"represented" household (ibtained by my weights).

Thanks a lot

Chiara Mussida
PhD Doctoral school of Economic Policy
Catholic University, Piacenza (Italy)