RE: st: RE: non-constant Frequency weights

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   RE: st: RE: non-constant Frequency weights
Date   Tue, 26 Oct 2010 19:28:05 +0100

Fair enough. Now you have a specific question, to which I don't know the answer; but someone else may have specific advice.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Stephen O Neill

When I try to run - xtreg,fe - I get the error message "weight must be constant
within ID", where ID is my unique identifier for each individual and is constant
for an individual over time. I also wanteed to use the user written - xtabond2 -
or some other dynamic model but it appears that weights can't be used with
these.

Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>

I don't see the connections between these statements. A variable containing
frequency weights can vary between observations, in this instance within panels
as well as between panels, so that is not a problem in itself.

Perhaps some particular procedures have more restricted assumptions, but you
don't say what they are.

Stephen O Neill

I am using unbalanced panel data which contains a frequency weight each year.
However the weight is not constant through time with the result that I cannot
weight the data using - [fweight = weight] - . I was just wondering if there is
a simple work around?