Re: st: gologit2 model

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: gologit2 model
Date   Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:24:41 -0500

At 12:14 PM 10/13/2010, Maarten buis wrote:
--- On Wed, 13/10/10, Nilam Prasai wrote:
> I am trying to estimate a generalized ordinal logistic
> model by using gologit2 program in stata. I have approximately 40
> observations for which predicted probability is negative. Should I be
> concernde. My sample size is 115.

Sounds like too many negative predictions to me. Rich Williams, the
author of -gologit2-, maintains an FAQ which has an entry on negative
predicted probabilities and a possible solution:

I agree with Maarten. See the FAQ. You may be able to tweak the data or the model. However, 115 is a pretty small N for any maximum likelihood analysis, let alone one that estimates as many parameters as gologit2. You can also see the main support page at

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu