st: RE: RE: correlation, panel data

From   "Biljana Dlab" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: correlation, panel data
Date   Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:30:54 +0200

Thank you - will try that.

May apology for repeating the post - i was always modifying something.

Thank you once again.

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: 13 October 2010 18:49
To: ''
Subject: st: RE: correlation, panel data

You should read the Statalist policy on repeated posts.

Pestering the list is likely to be counter-productive.

One possibility without installing anything is to modify this recipe:

sysuse auto
levelsof rep78, local(levels)
gen corr = .
qui foreach l of local levels {
	corr mpg weight if rep78 == `l'
	replace corr = r(rho) if rep78 == `l'

Biljana Dlab

I have panel data (sorted by gvkey_n and financial years).

Now I am trying to compute correlation between variables r_d and cf - I would like to have this correlation in a separate column in spread-sheet and that the correlation coefficient is written for all firm-year observations

With other words this is what I would like to get:

gvkey_n 	year corr(between r_d&cf)
555		99	0.2
555		00	0.2
555		01	0.2
555		02	0.2
333		99	0.4
333		00	0.4
333		01	0.4

I tried like this:
.by gvkey_n: corr cf r_d  - but then I get matrix (for all companies, very long list in my black stata field)

-> gvkey_n = 63651

             |      r_d 	cf
         r_d |   1.0000
   	   cf	 |   0.0620   1.0000

How do I select the r_d & cf combination form the matrix put it in separate column in my spreadsheet for each firm?

If I try:
. by gvkey_n: egen d_corr = corr(cf r_d) unrecognized command:  _gcorr r(199);

. ssc install egenmore
checking egenmore consistency and verifying not already installed...
file C:\DOCUME~1\dlab\LOCALS~1\Temp\ST_0100000g.tmp already exists could not copy
(no action taken)

Do you know the function how to get correlation in the column?