st: RE: creating individuals ID numbers

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   st: RE: creating individuals ID numbers
Date   Tue, 28 Sep 2010 20:21:21 +0100

This is an FAQ. Start with

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Creating group identifiers
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . N. J. Cox and W. Gould
        3/01    How do I create individual identifiers numbered
                from 1 upwards?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/group.html

and feel free to return with unanswered specific questions. The advice in that FAQ can certainly be combined with prior random shuffling. On this post alone, I would advise that rather than a deterministic rule.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

delibera@illinois.edu

I have a new database where I have confidential information about individuals, including
their names, address and ID numbers that can not become public.

I need to create new ID numbers so that the database can become public. I thought
about doing in some different ways, like to create a new rule for a number based on the
old ID number, or to create random numbers.

But I would like to ask your opinion about the best way to do it.