st: selecting consecutive years, panel data

From   "Biljana Dlab" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: selecting consecutive years, panel data
Date   Sat, 25 Sep 2010 16:52:07 +0200

I have runs of consecutive observations (following instructions in FAQ,
bellow) - Now how do I drop runs of consecutive observations if the
number of consecutive observations is less than 4?

And how do I count number of observations in panel data - for example
how many firms (the variable is defined as number) in total I have in
the panel and how many firms with currency CAD / USD I have in panel
(the currency is defined as string)?

Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: 22 September 2010 16:20
To: ''
Subject: st: RE: RE: selecting consecutive years timeseries

This is an FAQ

FAQ     . . . . . . Identifying runs of consecutive observations in
panel data
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . N. J. Cox and V.
        8/02    How do I identify runs of consecutive observations
                in panel data?

Martin Weiss

ssc d tsspell

by NJC may help.

Biljana Dlab

I have period from 1980-1995 and about 50 firms. For some firms
there is date for all year for other firms not.

Now I need to select those firm-years that are at least 4 consecutive
years long.

Any ideas and tips how to do that?